Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Almost

The I-Spy quilt is now officially sandwiched, and I'm half-way through tying it. (I really should be working on it now since Mister Mister is napping, but instead, I'm catching you up.)



A couple of notes:

  • When you have a quilt that "grows" as you add more and more fabric to it because you decided it was too small, make sure you measure the rest of the fabric you bought (backing, batting, border) and make sure you have enough. I had to go up a size on the backing, had to cheat with the border and turn it into a pieced border since I didn't have enough race car fabric to go all the way around, and I (luckily) just made it with the backing. Wasn't a huge fan of the border at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it, especially for a 7-year-old. (I'll show it to you with the finished quilt photo in my next post.)
  • Lining up points is apparently not my thing anymore. Luckily, you can't really tell unless you look closely, and I've decided not to look too closely. Please ignore my mistakes.
  • When you are sewing strips together, make sure they're all going the correct way. One of my I-Spy strips ended up upside down. I asked my husband if he could tell which strip was wrong, and he couldn't, so I left it. (I really want to get this quilt done.) 
  • When you change out the blade on your rotary cutter because you can no longer cut a single piece of fabric with it, don't forget that the new blade is sharp. Yeah.
  • And, finally, don't lay out an I-Spy quilt (or any quilt) anywhere near your toddler. He will grab it, walk away with it, and curl up and try to go to sleep on it. (I swear, as soon as this quilt is done, I will finish the one I started for him. I'm in the middle of tying it, and not to tease, but it is adorable!)
I told my husband that this quilt will be done by the end of this week, so I better make good on that or figure out how to hide my projects better so he can't tell that I'm still working on it after this week. But, really, my goal since the beginning has been to get this finished and mailed out by the end of this month, and the end of this month is coming up really soon. Back to tying...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulous quilt for a 7yr old! I am also experiencing the frustrations of turning a cot WIP into a single bed quilt. The hardest part was finding new border fabric as I had a great shade of cream but not enough anymore. At least my old stuff will be useful somewhere else and what I bought this time goes even better!

    ReplyDelete