Sunday, December 16, 2012

Welcome!

I follow (way too) many quilting blogs. I try to keep up reading about quilting and looking at quilt candy since life's gotten in the way of actually quilting lately. I have wanted to start a "real" blog for a while now. So, this year, I have decided to take at least a little time for myself, start quilting some more, and start a blog to track my progress. I can't promise that it will be interesting or well-written or awe-inspiring. But, I need a break from my life and I'm going to take this as the outlet.

To encourage myself to get back into quilting, I joined a local quilt guild -- The Salt Creek Quilt Guild -- last month. I also started participating again with an online quilt group -- Stashbusters -- which has a UFO challenge for 2013. I'm working on my list of UFOs, some of which I hope to finish this year and blog about here.

Since this is my first post, a little background might be useful. I have been quilting since January 1998, when I was a freshman at Kenyon College. I became hooked and have finished around two dozen quilts. I usually machine piece and then either tie the baby quilts or hand quilt all the larger ones. In my past life I was a book editor, editing law books for lawyers, law students, and consumers. When I got pregnant, I was in the middle of a career change, attending a teaching certification program and planning on teaching high school English in or near Chicago.

A few days after my beautiful baby boy was born and we took him home with an all-clear report, we received a phone call and he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, a life-shortening, genetic illness, which caught us completely by surprise. I have been a stay-at-home mom since he was 6-months-old. We made a decision before he was born that we would not put his name or photograph online for his privacy, and we've stuck with that, and I'll continue that here.

His health (knock on wood) is stable right now, so I'm going to try to take advantage of him getting older, having a more regular schedule, and being able to keep himself entertained on the floor of my sewing room to get back into quilting. I hope you'll be encouraging and supportive as I start this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment