Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

This is the time of year for resolutions. I don't usually take much stock in resolutions made on January 1, just because it's January 1, but I could use a change this year, so here goes with at least a couple of goals that relate to quilting and this blog.

First, I joined a UFO Challenge through my online Stashbusters group. I entered 14 quilts that I currently have started that I want to try to get done. My actual goal for the year is to finish five quilts. Four of them are baby/kid quilts and the last one is a quilt I made as my wedding gift to my husband. That one is almost done, but I realized that I didn't put in nearly enough quilt stitches to keep the whole thing from ripping apart, so I need to go back and do a lot more hand quilting on it so I can call it finished. 


My second goal is to try to do more for others. Before my son was born, I volunteered like crazy. I helped plan fun events and parties for seriously ill children and their families, I made quilts for auctions,  solicited donations from local businesses for charity auctions, and taught Sunday School (way back when). I also used to make baby quilts for family, friends, and family member's friends, and if I didn't have time to make a quilt, I'd at the very least knit a blanket. 

After my son was born, life got busy. Besides normal baby stuff, I spend a lot of time on his medical issues, arguing with insurance companies, talking to doctors, and doing research to see what else we can do to keep him as healthy as we can for as long as we can. It doesn't leave me with a huge amount of time to volunteer. And, when I raise money now, it's for the Great Strides Walk to fund research to find a cure for cystic fibrosis. (This last one I don't mind. It's extremely important since there is no government funding for this kind of research, and we desperately need a cure.)

But, this year, I'd like to try to find a way to help more people some way. The quilt for the 7-year-old in Ohio is one small thing I can do. There are a couple of other baby/kid quilts that I have in the rotation that are both late (one by a couple of years), but I think a quilt whenever it comes can still give and get just as much love. (Or, that's just an excuse.)

There are so many kids and families I know of right now who are going through major illnesses, and I wish there was a way I could make each and every one of them a quilt, but I just don't have the time or money. But, I'm going to do the best I can do to at least get the ones finished that I've started, and maybe I'll be able to do even better. If anyone has any ideas for how I can get more kids quilts done, I'd be glad to hear the advice.

And, if there are other ways I can find this year to identify and help more people who need help, I'll do my best to make more of a difference.

I hope you and your families all have a great start and finish to 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment